Energetic thoughts...

Thursday, March 01, 2007

More Vitriol

Don't worry, I've calmed down. Actually, that's a barefaced lie - I'm just feeling vitriolic about something else entirely.

Working here is like belonging to the Catholic Church - the burden of guilt is phoenomenal, except here there is no scope for confession. Now, I don't have a problem with Catholics (although I do think they're a bit deluded, o ye still following the Roman empire. Hail Caesar, sorry, Mary...), but here all the time you are looking over your shoulder, just making sure that no-one is peering even if you are doing something slightly naughty. Examples - taxi driver gives you a blank receipt, you are writing £20 on it in order to complete your expenses because that's exactly what you gave him, and the guilt washes through you like the blush that only comes with realisation that your flies have been open for a good few hours.

Have to travel on a weekend? Tough - travel is a privilege, who gives a sh!t that you lost 2 days of your own time. And, today's episode... invited by some mates to a rugby match that just happens to be a corporate gig paid for by another company? Can't go because "the policy is a little bit vague as there is no current business justification for the entertainment, so best to play on the safe side". What about the fact that there is absolutely no f***ing conflict of interests either? There is no unsafe side, other than p!ssing me off.

The issue here is a constant stream of ar$e covering exercises - it's easier to say no, so let's just do nothing, eh? My examples may seem a little trite, but the issue is much more endemic than that.

I'm heading offshore in the morning for a few days peace. See you soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home