Energetic thoughts...

Friday, January 19, 2007

News Review

I'm getting slack, and I'm about to make another excuse. I'm away all next week skiing, or rather, I'm away next week and may ski if some snow happens to fall between now and then. And I've got shiny new skis from Santa.

But why is there no snow in what has historically been a snowsure resort? It's hard to rationalise it against anything other than global warming. So, I'm annoyed because there's not much snow, and the chief culprit is CO2. How am I planning on getting to the resort? By belching out CO2 in an aeroplane. Oxymoronic? You bet. Confused? I'm just getting started...

News Review:
* Organisers of one of the world cup ski events are planning on flying in snow to enable the race to go ahead. Hmmm.
* The government has debunked the vast majority of the carbon offsetting schemes. I think I'd worked that one out for myself.
* The world's biggest oil company is accused of using tactics similar to those used by tobacco companies to question the link between smoking and cancer in order to propagate doubt about global warming.
* The same company announced an initiative 2 days later funding positive-PR generating research
* Another large oil company was publically beeched (not literally, which is a shame) for being unable to run plants that don't kill people.

Common denominator? Well, there must be several million (billion, in some cases) reasons....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home